- Alabama (2007)
- Mississippi (2008)
- Georgia (2016)
- U.S. District Courts, Middle, Northern and Southern Districts of Alabama (2007)
- U.S. District Courts, Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi (2008)
- U.S. District Courts, Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia (2017)
- Court of Appeals of Georgia (2019)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (2013)
- Duke University (B.A., 2004)
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law (J.D., Certificate in Trial Advocacy, 2007)
- Alabama State Bar Association (Quality of Life, Health & Wellness Task Force 2020-2021)
- Georgia State Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar Association
- Attorneys Information Exchange Group (Board of Directors)
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Judge James Edwin Horton American Inn of Court
- Order of Barristers
- Blessed Brokenness (Board of Directors Executive Committee)
- Church of the Highlands (Outreach, Prayer and Small Groups Teams)
Donovan D. Potter, Sr., is an experienced attorney in Beasley Allen’s Personal Injury and Products Liability Section, working out of the firm’s Atlanta office. Donovan represents survivors of catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases involving heavy trucks, negligent security, and product liability cases. Throughout Donovan’s career, he has litigated numerous cases in both state and federal courts throughout Georgia and across the country.
Prior to joining Beasley Allen, Donovan practiced civil defense litigation at a mid-sized firm in Atlanta and as an associate city attorney for the City of Atlanta, where he handled various types of cases including automobile and trucking litigation, catastrophic injury and wrongful death, negligent security, governmental liability and product liability. He has counseled clients through litigation involving significant injuries such as severe traumatic brain injuries, sexual assaults and wrongful death. Donovan’s prior experience as a defense attorney gives him a unique perspective in understanding how insurance companies work, which he now uses for his clients’ benefit.
Donovan was born and raised in Dayton, Ohio. Donovan is married to his high school sweetheart, the former Kiera Hollis, and they have one son, Donovan Jr. He is a member of Elizabeth Baptist Church. Donovan and his family live on the westside in the City of Atlanta, and he enjoys reading, watching college sports, and spending time with his family.
The Miami University graduate earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management from the Farmer School of Business and a second Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology and Health graduating in 2011. Donovan was a scholarship football player at Miami and earned the Redhawk Scholar Athlete Award for four years.
He earned his law degree in 2014 from the University of Louisville Louis D. Brandeis School of Law. In law school, Donovan was a member of the Journal of Law & Education and competed in a transactional and negotiation moot court competition in Chicago, Illinois. He also served as Vice President of the Black Law Student Association.
Committed to helping others and giving back to his community, Donovan is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., serves as a governing board member for Westside Atlanta Charter School and also a board member and Vice-Chairman of Grove Park Renewal, Inc., a neighborhood non-profit.
Donovan is a member of the Georgia State Bar, Gate City Bar Association, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association (GTLA) and American Association for Justice (AAJ). He was recently selected to be one of only 18 lawyers named to the 2020-2021 GTLA LEAD program, which assembles the top rising trial lawyers in Georgia.