Rhon E. JonesPrincipal & Toxic Torts Section Head | Environmental
Rhon is arguably the top environmental attorney for plaintiffs in the entire country. It is easy to see why. Verdicts and settlements that he has participated in while at Beasley Allen are estimated at a remarkable 30 billion dollars. In a recent Alabama listing of “Super Lawyers” for environmental practice, he was the only lawyer listed that exclusively represents plaintiffs.
Holding an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell, Rhon has been named to the 2013-2014 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers, and consistently selected to Alabama Super Lawyers since 2008. He has regularly been selected for inclusion on both the Best Lawyers in America lists.
Since early 2010, he has devoted his law practice to victims of the devastating BP Oil Spill. He currently serves on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee (PSC) for the BP Deepwater Horizon MDL, as well as class counsel in the economic and property class settlement against BP. He has served several roles on the PSC, including the negotiation of the method by which all business claims have been paid in the class settlement. That settlement has paid out more than $5 billion in claims to date and has been estimated to eventually pay out approximately $10 billion.
Rhon was also heavily involved in the recently announced $18.5 billion agreement in principle to settle Federal, State and local government claims against BP, which will result in more than $2 billion for Alabama. Rhon represents Governor Robert Bentley in the economic losses suffered by the State of Alabama from the oil spill, and has worked cooperatively with Attorney General Luther Strange, who is representing the State of Alabama. This work has resulted in Rhon being appointed a Deputy Attorney General for the State of Alabama.
His environmental experience is much more than the BP litigation, as historic and ground breaking as that has been. Representative work includes:
- Rhon represented plaintiffs damaged by a massive coal ash spill that decimated the area around the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) Kingston, Tenn., Fossil Plant, resulting in a 2014 settlement agreement to pay $27.8 million to victims.
- A $700 million settlement for thousands of Alabama victims of PCB contamination, the largest environmental settlement in the country at the time.
- Resolution of a class action involving groundwater contamination against a large industrial company in Alabama.
- A $20 million-plus verdict and other settlements over carbon black pollution in Alabama and Oklahoma.
- Successful resolution of class action regarding contaminated drinking water in New Jersey.
- Lead trial counsel in jury verdict of more than $11 million.
- Trial counsel in jury verdict of more than $2 million.
- Lead counsel in arbitration award of $1.9 million.
- Trial counsel in verdict of $1.7 million.
Obtaining his B.A. from Auburn University and his J.D. from the University of Alabama, Rhon served as a law clerk for U.S. District Judge Robert Varner and later began trial practice in Birmingham with the law firm of Starnes & Atchison. Rhon joined Beasley Allen in 1994 and now manages the firm’s environmental cases. He has handled environmental or toxic exposure cases in 14 different states to date.
Rhon has taught Torts at Jones School of Law in Montgomery, and he is a regular speaker at national, regional and state seminars on various subjects for both plaintiff and defense counsel. He has authored more than 30 articles and papers for publication.
Rhon is an Advisory Board Member of the Family Sunshine Center, whose mission is to prevent domestic abuse. Rhon is also a former member of the Board of Directors of the Janice Capilouto Center for the Deaf, which fills special needs for the hearing impaired. He continues to actively support both as well as multiple ministry organizations in Montgomery and beyond.
In July 2007, Rhon received a Certificate of Recognition from the Alabama State Bar in tribute to his nomination for the 2007 Alabama State Bar Pro Bono Award.
He is a Deacon at First Baptist Church in Montgomery, where he teaches Sunday school and facilitates a Men’s Bible Study.
Recent Speaking Engagements:
AAJ Annual Convention. Rhon provided a BP Oil Spill Update and served as an event faculty member; Montreal, July 2015.
Rhon spoke at the 2014 Trial Skills seminar for CLE Alabama on Dec. 19, 2014, on the topic of Closing Arguments.
Rhon was a featured speaker at the AAJ Education's Plaintiff-Only Hot Topics and Trends in Litigation Seminar, held in Charleston, S.C., Dec. 2-3, 2014. He spoke on the topic Lessons Learned from the BP Oil Spill.
Rhon was a featured speaker at the 2014 Business Law seminar presented by CLEalabama on Oct. 10, 2014, at the Harbert Center in Birmingham, Ala., where he presented an update on the BP Oil Spill litigation.
Particpated as a speaker in a webinar titled The BP Settlement Program - A Legal, Economic and Environmental Perspective of the Disaster and Resulting Landmark Agreement that took place Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014.
Rhon was invited to speak at the CLE Alabama Damages Seminar, Birmingham, Ala., September 21, 2012.
Rhon spoke at the BP Economic & Property Damages Settlement Class Seminar, Montgomery County Bar Association, Montgomery , Ala., August 30, 2012. (view the powerpoint presentation)
Rhon was invited to speak at the Alabama Travel Council Annual Meeting at the Alabama Governor's Conference on Tourism regarding the BP Oil Spill settlement. The meeting was in Point Clear, Ala., August 19, 2012.
State Bar of Georgia, Toxic Torts Seminar - Atlanta, Ga., September 30, 2011; Rhon spoke on the BP Oil Spill Litigation.
Rhon participated in a panel discussion on "Deepwater Horizon Disaster - One Year Later," at the Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting, Point Clear, Ala., July 15, 2011.
American Association for Justice Annual Meeting - New York City, July 10, 2011; Rhon spoke to the Gulf Coast Oil Spill Litigation Group on environmental impacts of the BP oil spill disaster.
Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi Environmental Law Program - June 17, 2011, Sandestin, Fla. Rhon spoke on the topic "BP Oil Spill Update."
Rhon was invited to speak on the topic "Causation Issues under the Oil Protection Act" at the 2011 ABA Section of Litigation and Criminal Justice Joint Annual Conference held April 15, 2011, at Miami Beach, Florida.
American Association for Justice 2011 Winter Meeting - Rhon presented remarks on the topic "Update on State/Government Claims" related to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster. The meeting was held Feb. 5-9, 2011, in Miami.
15th Annual CLE by the Hour. Rhon spoke on "BP MDL Litigation." Samford University, Cumberland School of Law, Birmingham, Ala., December 29, 2010.
The Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Disaster. Rhon spoke on "The Oil Spill MDL Process - An Update." Mobile Bar Association, Mobile, Alabama, November 12, 2010.
Oil in the Gulf - Litigation and Insurance Coverage. Rhon was invited to participate in a panel discussion on "The Oil Spill and Related Health Impacts on the General Population and Workers." HB Litigation Conference, Miami, Florida, November 4, 2010.
Chemical Products and Toxic Torts: From Crisis to Mass Litigation; Starting Smart and Finishing Strong. Rhon was invited to participate on a panel discussion on "Jury Themes and Effective Communication, American Bar Association, Houston, Texas, October 8, 2010.
Deepwater Horizon: Legal Challenges & Environmental Consequences. Rhon addressed the topic "Private Recovery Litigation." Environmental Law Section of the Alabama State Bar, Environmental Law Section of the Louisiana State Bar Association, and the Section on Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law of the Mississippi State Bar. Biloxi, Mississippi, July 30, 2010.
Gulf Coast Oil Spill Litigation Group. Rhon addressed "Governmental Claims from AGs to Parish Presidents," American Association for Justice, Vancouver, BC, July 14, 2010.
Oil in the Gulf-Litigation and Insurance Coverage. He addressed the topic "Filing Claims Against BP vs. Filing a Claim with the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund." HB Litigation conference, Atlanta, Georgia, June 24, 2010.
The Gulf Coast Disaster: Representing the Plaintiffs - Individuals to Institutions. Rhon spoke on Forecasting the Damage from the Gulf Oil Spill, 360 Advocacy Group, Orlando, Florida, May 21, 2010.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida (2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit (2008)
- U.S. Supreme Court (1997)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (1993)
- U.S. District Court, Middle, Northern and Southern Districts of Alabama (1991)
- Alabama (1990)
- American Association for Justice, Co-Chair, Gulf Coast Oil Spill Litigation Group
- Alabama Association for Justice, Executive Committee
- Montgomery County Association for Justice
- Alabama Bar Association; Executive Committee; Judicial Liaison Committee
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Secretary/Treasurer
- Federal Bar Association
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
- AV Rated
- Best Lawyers
- University of Alabama (J.D., 1990)
- Auburn University (B.A., 1986)
- Supreme Court’s BP ruling discussed by Beasley Allen principal Rhon Jones on CBS 8 “TalkBack”
- BP Oil Spill Medical Settlement described by Beasley Allen attorney Rhon Jones
- Beasley Allen attorney Rhon Jones outlines criteria for BP Oil Spill claims
- You may be eligible for BP Oil Spill settlement
- Your business may be eligible for BP Oil Spill settlement
- BP Oil Spill settlement open to any business in Alabama
- BP Oil Spill: Who is eligible for compensation?
- Settlement in principle in BP oil spill case
- BP Oil Spill settlement explained by Beasley Allen attorney Rhon Jones
- BP class action settlement gains preliminary approval, Jones tells WSFA TV12 news
- Rhon Jones appears on Fox News to discuss BP litigation
- Beasley Allen attorney Rhon Jones addresses Transocean attempts to avoid responsibility for oil spill
- Hot Fuel with Rhon Jones
- Rhon Jones heavily involved in BP Trial
- BP Oil Spill Settlement Presentation - Montgomery County Bar
- BP Oil Spill Update - presentation to State Bar of GA
- BP Oil Spill Update
- Causation Issues Under the Oil Pollution Act
- BP Oil Spill Environmental Impact
- Deepwater Horizon Oil Disaster State and Government Claims Presentation
- Cumberland Law School Presentation
- Counseling Government Entities in the BP Oil Spill Disaster
- Forecasting the Damage from the Gulf Oil Spill
- The Poffenbarger Decision - AAJ
- Resolving a Toxic Tort
- The VLP, the Feisty 97-Year-Old and the Crooked Contractor
- The Poffenbarger Decision
- How to Find a Toxic Tort Case in Your Own Backyard
- Monsanto, PCB's and Future Toxic Torts
- The Fiesty 97 Year-Old and the Crooked Contractor
- Evolution of Trespass and Nuisance
- Plaintiffs Perspective on Toxic Tort Litigation 2005
- Mutual Fund Scandals - ATLA 2004 Winter Convention
- Proper Use of Focus Groups in Civil Litigation
- Recent Business Scandals and Their Effect on Jurors
- Recent Corporate Scandals and Their Effect on Jurors
- Recent Developments in Agent Orange Litigation
- Recent Developments in Alabama Commerical Business Tort Law
- Recovering from Brokerage Firms for Bogus Stock Recommendations
- Toxic Torts - Recent Relevant Decisions - 2006Mar24
- Why Your Business May Need a Trial Lawyer
- The Explosion in Toxic Torts
- Making the Most of PowerPoint Presentations
- Information Sharing and Trade Secrets
- How to Handle Securities Cases
- Litigating Toxic Torts
At Beasley Allen, there is never a fee for legal services, unless we collect for you. Contact us today by filling out a brief questionnaire, or by calling our toll free number, 800-898-2034, for a free, no-cost no-obligation evaluation of your case.