D. Michael AndrewsPrincipal | Personal Injury and Product Liability
Mike Andrews joined Beasley Allen in 1998, working in the Products Liability section. The majority of his practice deals with complex product liability cases involving serious injury or death. He has handled several cases against manufacturers of aircraft, light and heavy trucks, automobiles, and agricultural and construction equipment. He enjoys highly technical cases and has a particular passion for working on behalf of injured children. He has received several recent seven- and eight-figure settlements and verdicts. Mike is a Martindale Hubbell AV rated attorney.
On March 20, 2015, Mike was on the trial team that received a verdict in Mobile for a young man paralyzed in a heavy truck rollover. The jury awarded $18.8 million, $5 million of which were punitive damages. The trial team entered into a high/low agreement while the jury deliberated, resulting in a payment to the client of $14 million. There were partial settlements before trial for confidential amounts.
On Sept. 2, 2015, Mike and partner Kendall Dunson received an $8 million verdict on behalf of a nurse who was seriously injured in a crash involving a 2004 Volkswagen Passat. In that case, a Federal Court jury found that the Honeywell turbocharger in the Passat was defective and dangerous in that it allowed oil to leak through the turbocharger compressor seal. As a result, the diesel engine ingested the oil and resulted in an uncontrolled vehicle runaway. Medical expenses exceeded $650,000. The jury award included $1 million for the husband for loss of consortium.
Currently, Mike is working on litigation related to the General Motors (GM) defective ignition switch. The switch can move from the “run” to the “accessory” or “off” position while the vehicle is in operation, resulting in a loss of power. This disables power steering, brakes, and can disable the airbags, just when a motorist needs them most. Drivers may lose control of the vehicle and crash. GM began recalling cars in February 2014, although evidence indicates the manufacturer may have known about the problem as early as 2001. Mike is handling cases that involve serious injuries and death as a result of this defective ignition switch.
Mike has a particular interest in cases involving Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI. TBI results from a blow to the head. TBI can result from repeated concussions as well as severe head injuries. While the physical injury related to a head trauma may be diagnosed visibly, many people do not realize they are suffering from a TBI and may have what are often called “invisible symptoms.” These may include memory loss, depression, aggression, suicidal thought, even body temperature and sensation.
As an author and speaker, Mike has had the opportunity to share his experience in a variety of products liability cases. "Planes, Trains, Automobiles and Escalators" is one of the various publications Mike has authored. In it he discussed the alarming frequency of childhood injuries caused by poorly designed and maintained escalators. Having spoken in the past on the dangers of 15-passenger vans, he was invited to be a featured speaker at the annual Alabama Trial Lawyers convention, where his topic was the practical applications of electronic discovery in product liability cases.
In 2015, Mike was selected as the Beasley Allen Lawyer of the Year for the Products Liability Section.
Mike graduated cum laude from Faulkner University's Thomas Goode Jones Law School in 2001. While attending Jones, he served two terms as a member of the Law Review Board; he held a position as senator in the Student Bar Association; he was the President of the Kenneth F. Ingram Senate of Delta Theta Phi law fraternity; and he was the Chief Justice of the Student Bar Honor Court. He was recognized for Best Scholastic Achievement in Contracts and Criminal Law, and he was also the recipient of the West Publishing Corpus Juris Secundum Award for academic excellence.
Mike currently serves on the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Transportation Safety Advisory Board, Board of Directors for Houston County Girls, Inc., and Board of Directors for the Alabama Head Injury Foundation.
He and his wife, the former Carol Benton, were reared in Dothan, Alabama. They have three children: Shelby, David Michael II and Jack. Mike and his family attend First Baptist Church in Dothan. Also of note, Mike is a photographer whose work has received both local and national awards.
- Alabama and U.S. District Court, Middle and Northern Districts of Alabama (2001)
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association
- Montgomery County Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Attorneys Information Exchange Group
- UAB Transportation Safety Advisory Board
- Board of Directors - Alabama Head Injury Foundation
- Board of Directors - Houston County Girls, Inc.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Beasley Allen Lawyer of the Year - Products Liability 2015
- Faulkner University's Thomas Goode Jones School Of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2001)
- Troy State University at Dothan (B.S. B.A., 1997)
- Aviation safety and litigation addressed by Beasley Allen principal Mike Andrews
- VW sudden acceleration case explained by Beasley Allen’s Mike Andrews
- Beasley Allen principal Mike Andrews discusses about product liability
- Beasley Allen attorney Mike Andrews discusses the dangers of airbags in automobiles
- The defective GM ignition switch: designed and manufactured to fail?
- The GM Ignition Switch: What went wrong
- Accident investigation reveals defective seat belt; Beasley Allen lawyer Mike Andrews explains
- Beasley Allen announces personal injury lawsuit against GM
- Mesothelioma and asbestos -- what you should know
- Defective products pose a hazard to anyone at any time
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) featured on WSFA's 12 News Defenders program
- Beasley Allen lawyer Mike Andrews talks about LifeSouth lawsuit with WSFA
- Injured on the job, There may be product liability
- The Beasley Allen Report Takes a Look at a Case Involving Aviation Litigation
- Beasley Allen attorney Mike Andrews discusses Pool Safety on LegalTalk Radio
At Beasley Allen, there is never a fee for legal services, unless we collect for you. Contact us today by filling out a brief questionnaire, or by calling our toll free number, 800-898-2034, for a free, no-cost no-obligation evaluation of your case.