W. Daniel Miles, IIIShareholder / Section Head of Consumer Fraud | Business Litigation, Fraud
When Dee graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, he served as a Corporate Internal Auditor for Amsouth Banc Corporation (now "Regions Bank") from 1985-86. Dee then entered Cumberland School of Law where he was chosen to study "Comparative International Law" at the University Heidelberg in Heidelberg, Germany in 1988.
Upon graduation from law school, Dee served as a law clerk to the Honorable John M. Patterson, Judge of the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals from 1989-90. Dee was then asked to serve as a Staff Attorney for the Alabama Supreme Court under Justice Henry Steagall from 1990-91.
Dee joined the firm in 1991 and has not only been a pioneer of consumer fraud and commercial litigation nationwide, he has demonstrated great leadership resulting in the firm's numerous record-setting verdicts for clients in many areas of law. In addition to representing clients in litigation, Dee manages the entire Consumer Fraud / Commercial Litigation Section of the firm.He is involved in every case being litigated in this section and on a national level.
Dee is a proven leader in complex litigation on a national level in such cases as American General race-based premium multi-district litigation pending in Columbia, South Carolina, Co-lead counsel, GenRe Market Conduct MDL in the United States District Court for the Western Division of Tennessee, as co-lead counsel, lead counsel in the Average Wholesale Price Litigation in
- State of Alabama v. Abbott (73 pharmaceutical companies);
- State of Mississippi v. Abbott (86 pharmaceutical companies);
- State of Louisiana v. Abbott (108 pharmaceutical companies);
- State of South Carolina v. Abbott (18 pharmaceutical companies);
- State of Kansas v. Abbott (33 pharmaceutical companies);
- State of Utah v. Abbott (43 pharmaceutical companies);
- State of Hawaii (44 pharmaceutical companies);
- and State of Alaska v. Abbott (34 pharmaceutical companies).
The AWP cases have led to the “McKesson Litigation” in which Dee is serving as lead counsel in: State of Louisiana v. McKesson; State of Kanas v. McKesson; State of Hawaii v. McKesson and State of Alaska v. McKesson. Dee has also been appointed by Federal District Judge James V. Selna to serve in a leadership role on the Plaintiffs Liaison counsel in the Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration MDL Litigation in the California U.S. District Court. This committee has the awesome responsibility of coordinating the litigation for the entire country. Dee has also served as lead class counsel in several class actions such as Robertson v. Liberty National Life Insurance Company, Gadson v. American Medical Security Insurance Company and Gouche v. Transamerica Life Insurance Company; just to name a few.
Dee has involved the firm in cases on a national level. The majority of the Consumer Fraud / Commercial Litigation lawyers are licensed in two or more states. Dee has served as lead and co-lead counsel in numerous cases resulting in multi-million dollar verdicts, including:
- State of Alabama v. AstraZeneca, $215 million for the State;
- State of Alabama v. GlaxoSmithKline, $81 million verdict for the State;
- State of Alabama v. Sandoz, $78 million verdict for the State;
- State of Mississippi v. Sandoz, $38.2 million verdict for the State;
- State of Mississippi v. Watson, $30.2 million verdict for the State;
- State of Alabama v. Novartis, $33 million verdict for the State;
- Barron v. Alfa, $15 million jury verdict;
- Wooten v. Horace Mann Ins. Company, $12.4 million verdict;
- Spann v. Life of Georgia, $2.1 million jury verdict;
- Knox v. Alfa, $1.9 million verdict;
- Sewell v. Alfa, $850,000 verdict;
- and Hudson v. Alfa, $500,000 verdict.
Dee has settled thousands of cases for clients over the years with settlement value exceeding $4 billion. He has in the past and is currently spearheading national global settlements for state Attorneys General in the AWP litigation, having so far recovered over $600 million in settlement funds for the States’ Medicaid Agencies.
He spoke at the American Conference Institute's National Forum on Pharmaceutical Pricing Litigation on Oct. 2, 2012 at The Carlton Hotel in New York City. His subject was "Developing Cutting-Edge Defense Responses to New Causes of Action in AWP Cases."
Dee has also pursued settlement for individual plaintiffs against this country's top Fortune 500 companies. Most of these individual settlements involve confidentiality and cannot be discussed publicly, but Dee's leadership in the consumer fraud / commercial litigation areas of law is unprecedented.
Dee is a regular guest speaker at national, regional and state seminars, and he has authored numerous publications on consumer fraud and commercial litigation. He serves as counsel to state Attorneys General all over this country on civil litigation matters, particularly pharmaceutical pricing issues. He has been featured on The Today Show, NPR, CNN, USA Today, CBS, Fox News and other national news broadcasts and publications.
Dee is presently a Sustaining Member and Executive Committee member for the Alabama Association for Justice and past President of the Montgomery Trial Lawyers Association. Dee is also an active member of the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice. In the recent past, Dee and the firm were named "Boss of the Year" by the Montgomery Association of Legal Secretaries. Dee has been named in the “Who’s Who” of lawyers by the Heritage Registry, named to the 2013-2014 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers, selected as “Best Lawyers in America” by Best Lawyers in America; Alabama Best Lawyers 2012; selected to Alabama Super Lawyers for consecutive years, and was featured on the cover of and in a feature in Super Lawyers magazine in 2013, [pdf]; and was honored by the lawyers in this firm as “Litigator of the Year” in 2008. He has a Martindale Hubbell AV rating. He was selected as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation" by Martindale Hubbell and American Lawyer Media, featured in The American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel magazine. Dee also was named to the 2014 Lawdragon 500 leading lawyers list.
Dee, along with Beasley Allen Founding Shareholder Jere L. Beasley, was recognized by Business Alabama magazine on its 2012 list of the 10 largest Alabama jury awards in the past five years, for their work on the AWP/Medicaid Fraud litigation. The AWP/Medicaid Fraud litigation also was spotlighted by the National Law Journal as part of its 2014 Plaintiffs' Hot List, and in particular the Mississippi Average Wholesale Pricing ruling against Watson Pharmaceuticals. The case was one of about 360 the firm has pursued nationwide involving allegations that drug companies manipulated prices and overcharged Medicaid programs. The firm has recovered more than $1.3 billion for eight states' attorneys general in the fraudulent pharmaceutical pricing scheme.
Dee is from Homewood, Alabama, where he met his wife, the former Sandra Turnblad, while attending Homewood High School. The two later married after they both graduated from college. Sandra and Dee have four children, two girls and two boys. They are active members of The Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Montgomery. The Roman Catholic Church has honored Dee and Sandra by inducting them into the Equestrian order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. The Order is responsible for promoting Christianity within the Middle East and protecting the holy shrines in that region of the world. Dee was recently promoted to Lt. Col. of that charitable organization.
Dee is also a volunteer for the Montgomery County YMCA and he has coached several sports teams. He has regularly raised funds for the Boy Scouts of America, Father Walters Home for the needy, Montgomery Catholic Schools, Catholic Social Services and several other charitable organizations. Dee has also been appointed by Dean John Carroll of the Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, to serve on the Advisory Board of the law school in an effort to promote and preserve Cumberland's commitment to "seek wisdom to temper justice with compassion." The members of the Cumberland Advisory Board recently elected Dee to serve as its President for the year 2011-2012 term.
Dee credits his success to his faith: “My daily goal is to serve the Lord by giving generous love to my family and hard work to our clients, in that order. Life is a constant balancing act, but if we know the priorities of the Lord first, then our families and our work third, we can achieve anything in life we seek.”
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (2009)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (2000)
- U.S. District Court for New Jersey (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (1992)
- U.S. District Court for Northern District of Alabama (1992)
- U.S. District Court for Southern District of Alabama (1992)
- U.S. District Court for Middle District of Alabama (1991)
- Alabama (1990)
- Montgomery County and American Bar Associations
- Alabama State Bar
- Montgomery County Trial Lawyers Association
- Alabama Association for Justice
- The American Association for Justice
- American Association for Public Justice
- The American Trial Lawyers Association
- Public Justice Foundation
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
- AV Rated
- Best Lawyers
- Alabama Best Lawyers 2012
- Who's Who of Lawyers
- Beasley Allen Litigator of the Year 2008
- Business Alabama Magazine - Top 10 Largest Jury Verdict Awards
- Cumberland School of Law of Samford University (J.D., 1989)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (B.S., 1985)
- Beasley Allen attorney Dee Miles speaks about Target security breach and class action lawsuit
- Beasley Allen shareholder Dee Miles discusses Medicaid Fraud
- Toyota billion-dollar settlement discussed by Beasley Allen's Dee Miles on WSFA
- Cumberland School of Law celebrates golden anniversary
- Toyota Recall: Legal Troubles for Toyota
- WSFA Toyota Class Action with Dee Miles
- Dee Miles on FLSA Litigation
At Beasley Allen, there is never a fee for legal services, unless we collect for you. Contact us today by filling out a brief questionnaire, or by calling our toll free number, 1-800-898-2034, for a free, no-cost no-obligation evaluation of your case.