Roman Ashley ShaulPrincipal | Fraud
Roman Shaul joined Beasley Allen Law firm in 2000 and practices in the Consumer Fraud section. He has handled many complex litigation matters including national class actions and mass actions (individual cases with hundreds and often thousands of individual plaintiffs). He has been lead counsel in a large number of national class actions. Roman's practice areas include Appellate Advocacy, the Fair Labor Standards Act, Civil Fraud, Predatory Lending and Finance. He has successfully handled cases in more than 15 states and litigated in over 30 federal jurisdictions around the country.
Roman has successfully handled oral arguments and won important appellate victories in the Alabama Supreme Court, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. He has also authored a number of papers and seminar topics concerning Civil Fraud, the Fair Labor Standards Act, Predatory Lending and Professionalism. He often speaks at Continuing Legal Education seminars on these topics. Notably, Roman has also sat for, and passed, six different state bar exams.
Roman is very active in the Alabama State Bar. He is a past president of the Young Lawyers Section of the Alabama State Bar and the past Chairman of the Admissions Ceremony Committee. He is a past chair of the Alabama State Bar's Wills for Heroes Committee, which is responsible for drafting free wills, powers of attorneys, and health care directives for active members of law enforcement in Alabama. He has also represented the State of Alabama at several American Bar Association Conferences and is a graduate of the Alabama State Bar's Leadership Forum program. Roman has been fortunate enough to accept the Alabama State Bar's Pro Bono Award twice on behalf of work his committees have done in their efforts to help Hurricane Katrina victims and also law enforcement personnel with their wills.
As an undergraduate at the University of Alabama, Roman received a four-year debate team scholarship and subsequently received All-American honors in his senior season. While on the debate team at Alabama, he helped them win two National Forensic Team Championships. He graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in 1995, then attended the University of Alabama School of Law, where he earned his J.D. in 1998.
In December 2010, Roman was selected as Beasley Allen's Lawyer of the Year for the Fraud Section. He also has been selected for inclusion on the Best Lawyers in America list, and on the prestigious Super Lawyers list.
Roman is married to the former Caroline Thames of Jackson, Mississippi. They have two daughters, Anne Kingsley Elizabeth Shaul, and Isabel Clementine Shaul. They are members of First United Methodist Church in Montgomery.
- Southern District of Georgia(2015)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia (2013)
- Georgia (2013)
- Northern District of West Virginia (2010)
- Eastern District of Tennessee (2010)
- Western District of Texas (2010)
- Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana (2010)
- Northern District of Florida (2009)
- Middle District of Tennessee (2009)
- Central District of Illinois (2009)
- Western District of Tennessee (2007)
- Louisiana (2006)
- Southern District of West Virginia (2005)
- Tennessee (2005)
- West Virginia (2005)
- South Carolina (2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit (2002)
- Arkansas (2001)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas (2001)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit (2001)
- Mississippi (2000)
- U.S. District Court for Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi (2000)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit (2000)
- Alabama (1999)
- U.S. District Court for Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit (1999)
- Alabama State Bar (Past President, Young Lawyers Division)
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association
- Mississippi State Bar
- Arkansas State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
- West Virginia State Bar
- Tennessee State Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association (Board of Governors)
- Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association (Lifetime Sustaining Member)
- Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association
- Montgomery County Trial Lawyers Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Tuscaloosa County Bar Association
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar
- AV Rated
- Best Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
- University of Alabama (J.D., 1998)
- University of Alabama (B.S., 1995)
At Beasley Allen, there is never a fee for legal services, unless we collect for you. Contact us today by filling out a brief questionnaire, or by calling our toll free number, 800-898-2034, for a free, no-cost no-obligation evaluation of your case.