Navan Ward, Jr.Shareholder | Medical Devices and Drugs
Navan Ward, Jr., is a Shareholder at Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis and Miles, P.C. Currently, Navan is the firm's lead attorney on the metal-on-metal hip implant litigation, which involves thousands of victims who have defective hip implants causing severe pain, metal poisoning, and in some cases revision surgery. These defective hip devices are manufactured by various companies, such as Johnson & Johnson and DePuy Orthopedics, among others. Navan was selected to the Plaintiffs Steering Committee for the DePuy Hip Implant Recall Multi-District Litigation (MDL), as well as to the Plaintiffs Steering Committee (PSC) for the Pinnacle hip replacement MDL. He also serves as Co-Chair to the DePuy Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Litigation Group for the American Association for Justice (AAJ). Navan also has been selected to serve on the Plaintiffs Steering Committee (PSC) for the Biomet M2a Magnum Hip Implants Product Liability Litigation.
Navan was also heavily involved in with the hormone replacement therapy (HRT) litigation, representing hundreds of women who were diagnosed with breast cancer as a result of ingesting these combination hormone medications. His trial team was responsible for obtaining a $72.6 million verdict for three hormone therapy clients that went to trial in Philadelphia, Penn.
Upon arrival at Beasley, Allen, Navan was a member of the Mass Torts section, where he was responsible for overseeing the Meridia pharmaceutical drug litigation, a medication that caused heart attacks and strokes. Navan moved to Personal Injury section where he mostly litigated nursing home neglect and abuse cases in Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia. Navan has litigated cases where the nursing home resident suffered from injuries such as multiple falls, bedsores, malnutrition, dehydration, aspiration pneumonia, and sepsis/infections. During his time litigating nursing home and other types of wrongful death cases, Navan was successful in obtaining verdicts and/or settlements in excess of $2.85 million for his clients.
Navan returned to the Mass Torts section and was heavily involved with the Cox-2 (Vioxx, Celebrex, and Bextra) pharmaceutical drug litigation. These drugs were used for the treatment of arthritis, but caused heart attacks, strokes, and serious skin reactions. Specifically, he was the firm's lead attorney for the Celebrex and Bextra pharmaceutical litigation. Navan was one of the leaders in the Bextra/Celebrex Multi-district Litigation (MDL), serving on both the Science and Discovery committees. Additionally, Navan was responsible for overseeing the Permax and Dostinex pharmaceutical drug litigation. These drugs were used for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, but caused damage to the user's heart valves. Overall, Navan has been instrumental in obtaining in excess of $152.6 million for some of the clients that he has represented who have taken these dangerous drugs.
Navan has given several presentations concerning the DePuy hip implant recall, hormone replacement therapy litigation, Cox-2 drug litigation, Permax/Dostinex litigation, and Nursing Home litigation issues throughout the country.
Navan has earned a Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent rating. In 2013, he was selected as Beasley Allen's Litigator of the Year.
Before he arrived at Beasley Allen, Navan had experience working for an insurance defense firm and an employment law firm. He was involved in cases dealing with medical malpractice, car accidents, contractor liability, race discrimination and sexual harassment in the workplace.
Navan is married to the former Bridget L. Maynor, of Irondale, Alabama, and they have twin sons, Roman and Jaxon. Navan's childhood church was Bethany Seventh Day Adventist Church, but he now attends Northview Christian Church - Safe Harbor in Montgomery.
Navan serves in leadership positions for various legal organizations. He is a member of the American Bar Association, where he is the Alabama State Bar Delegate; American Association for Justice, where he is Immediate Past Chairman of the Minority Caucus, Chairman of the Diversity Committee, a member of the Board of Governors and a member of the Executive Committee; Alabama Lawyers Association, Immediate Past President; Alabama State Bar, ABA Delegate and Immediate Past President of the Young Lawyers Section; Montgomery County Association for Justice, Past President; and a Board Member for the Alabama Association for Justice. Navan also was a member of Leadership Montgomery's Class XXI, is Co-Chair of the Father Walters Charity Golf Tournament, and a member of the Alabama Law Foundation Grant Committee.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas (2010)
- U.S. District Court of Colorado (2009)
- U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Ohio (2005)
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi (2003)
- U.S. District Court of Western District of Tennessee (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2003)
- Mississippi (2003)
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern and Middle Districts of Alabama (2002)
- Alabama (2002)
- Alabama State Bar (Immediate Past President, Young Lawyers Section)
- Alabama State Bar, ABA Delegate
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Alabama Lawyers Association (Immediate Past President)
- Montgomery County Association for Justice (Past President)
- American Association for Justice (Co-Chair, DePuy Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Litigation Group)
- American Association for Justice (Immediate Past Chair, Minority Caucus Section)
- American Association for Justice (Chairman, Diversity Committee)
- American Association for Justice (Board of Governors)
- American Association for Justice (Executive Committee)
- American Bar Association (State Delegate for Alabama)
- Farrah Law Society
- Super Lawyers
- AV Rated
- University of Alabama (J.D., 2002)
- University of Alabama (B.A., 1999)
- DePuy Hip Recall Update
- DePuy Hip Implant Litigation
- DePuy Hip Implant Recall
- Reglan Litigation Heats Up
- Permax and Dostinex Litigation Heats Up
- Issues Involved in Taking a Nursing Home Case to Trial
- Update on Hormone Replacement Therapy Litigation
- The Plaintiff's Liability Case, Lining Up & Preparing Your Witness
At Beasley Allen, there is never a fee for legal services, unless we collect for you. Contact us today by filling out a brief questionnaire, or by calling our toll free number, 1-800-898-2034, for a free, no-cost no-obligation evaluation of your case.