Thomas J. Methvin began his legal career with Beasley Allen in 1988 representing victims of consumer fraud. He has served as Managing Shareholder of the firm since 1998. In 2007, Tom was featured in Fortune Magazine as one of America’s Premier Lawyers, and was chosen by Birmingham Magazine as one of the Best Lawyers in Alabama in the field of personal injury and mass torts. Tom is past president of the Montgomery County Bar Association, and currently serves as president elect of the Alabama State Bar Association. He will assume the office of President of the Alabama State Bar Association in July of 2009. Below is an interview between Thomas Methvin and The Complete Lawyer.
TCL – What Makes Thomas Methvin Successful?
TCL – What’s your personal definition of success?
– “A life of priorities: God, family, and work.”
– “My Dad.”
– “Selecting a Godly wife who has helped raise our two boys. Also, my helping to play a role in the success of Beasley Allen.”
– “Early in my career I spent too much time at work and not enough time with my family.”
– “She taught me to always look for the good in everyone and to always forgive.”
– “He taught me that we must always care for the poor and how wrong it was to take advantage of the poor and downtrodden.
– “Jere Beasley. He taught me how to practice law and he taught me how to have the right priorities in life.”
– “The ability to get along with people. Always treating opposing counsel with respect, regardless of the circumstances. Adhering to truthfulness and sincerely caring about what happens to people.”
– “Work very hard, build a reputation for integrity, and actually care about the people you serve.”
– “Honesty, loyalty, and integrity.”
– “I am a type A personality who wants everything done now.”
– “I would like to continue helping people in need.”
– “Helping those in need and spending time with family.”
– “Empathy for people’s situations. The ability to gather a lot of facts and consider many variables and to choose a course of action. Clear vision regarding where to head.”
– “The Montgomery Advertiser, The Alabama Lawyer, The National Law Journal, American Association for Justice Magazine.”
– “The Appeal, Animal Farm, Sheltered By the King. I read the Bible on a daily basis and highly recommend it as a roadmap to life.”
– “To Kill a Mockingbird and Arthur. I haven’t seen any movies recently.”
– “War, poverty, and injustice.”
– “Walking in the woods with my boys; freshwater fishing.”
– “I would establish a personal relationship with Jesus Christ earlier in life because this is the true source of peace.”
– “I want to learn to play the piano.”
– “Thank you!”