An e-cigarette explosion inside McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas triggered pandemonium as passengers abandoned their belongings and ran for emergency exits, fearing a bomb attack.

The explosion occurred about 1:15 in the afternoon April 15, filling the air with smoke and reverberating throughout Terminal 1.

One airline passenger waiting for a flight to the East Coast told KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas that “It was a panic. People were fearful.”

The explosion reportedly occurred at a charging station near Gate D54 in Terminal 1. The Clark County Fire Department and Las Vegas Police responded to the emergency and said that the e-cigarette was charging at the charge station when it exploded as people were waiting to board a United flight.

An airport official can be heard trying to calm passengers, announcing that the explosion stemmed from an e-cigarette and that authorities were working to figure out what triggered the explosion.

E-cigarettes, vape pens, and other vape devices are prone to explode for a number of reasons. Las Vegas authorities said the e-cigarette that exploded in the airport was overcharged. Firefighters cleared the scene and nobody was injured.

The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that power e-cigarettes are almost always to blame in e-cigarette explosions. The vape industry usually blames the e-cigarette user for these malfunctions by claiming that the wrong charger was used or the batteries weren’t right for the device or may have been improperly stored.

Essentially, however, e-cigarette batteries are inherently unsafe when they can so easily explode because of a manufacturing defect, damage, or a user mistake, such as charging the device too long.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prohibits e-cigarettes from being stored in checked luggage because of the propensity for their batteries to explode. The devices can be carried into the cabin of the airplane.

The e-cigarette explosion wasn’t the first to occur at McCarran International Airport. In April 2017, romance novelist Scott Hildreth suffered severe burn injuries when an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket while he and his wife were buying snacks in the gate area. He suffered extensive third-degree burns on his leg and hands from the explosion and underwent skin grafts at the UMC Burn Unit in Las Vegas.

E-cigarette explosions have also triggered panic and caused travel disruptions in Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport, Boston Logan International Airport, and Bradley International Airport in Hartford, Connecticut, in addition to multiple incidents aboard airplanes.

KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas
News 3 TV Las Vegas

We're here to help!

We live by our creed of “helping those who need it most” and have helped thousands of clients get the justice they desperately needed and deserved. If you feel you have a case or just have questions please contact us for a free consultation. There is no risk and no fees unless we win for you.

Fields marked * may be required for submission.

Thank you for all your hard work

Thank you for all your hard work over the past years on my behalf and so many others. God bless you all.