As a part of National Child Passenger Safety Week, Beasley Allen sponsors a Seat Check Saturday event in partnership with Safe Kids USA and the Alabama Department of Public Health. The event, held on a Saturday, provides parents and child caregivers an opportunity to have their child safety seats installed or inspected at no cost.
At a previous event, qualified seat installation experts inspected 50 child safety seats from 9 a.m.-noon at The Shoppes at EastChase in Montgomery. This was part of National Seat Check Saturday, with similar events held throughout the country.
Motor vehicle accidents remain the leading cause of death for children ages three to fourteen. Properly installed car seats and booster seats reduce the risk of serious and fatal injuries by more than half.
- 7 children die each day as a result of improperly fastened child seats
- 85% of child seats are not installed according to manufacturers specifications
- 30% of child seats are not suitable for the vehicles they are installed in
- Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for children ages 3-14
- Properly installed car seats and booster seats reduce the risk of fatal injury by more than half
If you missed the most recent Seat Check Saturday event in your area, you can find a safety seat inspection site near you. Visit the Safe Kids USA website, and click on the link that says “In Your Area.” This will provide you with information about Safe Kids Coalition groups in your area, and allow you to search for a seat inspection site near you.
National Child Passenger Safety Week is sponsored annually by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You can find more information about child safety seats and vehicle safety at the NHTSA website.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also has a helpful website with information about child safety seats. Visit the CDC online.