The Montgomery County Bar Association 2011 Spring Charity Event was a huge success! The membership, along with community leaders, enjoyed a fun-filled Cinco de Mayo celebration on May 5, with a Mexican fiesta featuring food, music and exciting prizes, all to benefit the One Place Family Justice Center. The event raised more than $35,000!
As many as 200 attendees were entertained with upscale Mexican cuisine, expertly prepared by Wynlakes’ talented chef, as well as music from the Fountain City Players, a silent auction and a live auction.
“One Place Family Justice Center, the recipient of the charity proceeds, is an important intervention tool in our community’s commitment to servicing victims of domestic violence, and elder and child abuse,” said Beasley Allen Shareholder Kendall Dunson, who is serving as President of MCBA this year. “With the help of our very generous sponsors, we are proud to assist One Place in providing a vital support network.”
The One Place Family Justice Center is the physical manifestation of Montgomery’s coordinated community response to domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse. It began two years ago with the founding of the Montgomery County Task force on Domestic Violence. The FJC recognizes that clients need a wide array of cooperating services to bring forth comprehensive healing and deliverance from abuse, and it keeps clients from having to search out many different agencies to find help by combining them in one location. In one place, clients can receive civil legal services from Legal Services Alabama and Jones School of Law Family Violence Clinic, counseling services from the Family Sunshine Center, victim advocacy from Montgomery County District Attorney, law enforcement from the Montgomery Police Department, critical medical attention and counseling from the rape and sexual assault nurses and professionals from Lighthouse/STAR, and spiritual counsel from affiliated clergy.
A very special thank-you goes out to the event sponsors:
- Diamond Sponsor – Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C.
- Sapphire Sponsor – Frank M. Wilson, P.C.
- Platinum Sponsor – Haskell, Slaughter, Young & Gallion
- Gold Sponsors – Balch & Bingham, LLP; Discover E. Partners
- Silver Sponsors – Ball, Ball, Matthews & Novak; Todd Brown; Florence M. Cauthen, Circuit Clerk; Hill, Hill, Carter, Franco, Cole & Black; Thomas Hampton; McPhillips Shinbaum LLP; Sasser, Sefton, Tipton & Davis, P.C.
- Bronze Sponsors – Aldridge Borden & Company; Altrusa of Montgomery; Boggs Reporting & Video LLC; Brewbaker Infiniti, Inc.; Coleman, Kenneth and Prentiss; Copeland, Franco, Screws & Gill; Linda Flynt; Freedom Court Reporting; Kaufman Gilpin McKenzie; Sandra Lewis and Karen Laneaux; Judge Jimmy Pool; Steve Searcy; Angelo and Mary Trimble; Touch of Class Total Transportation; Zonta Club of Montgomery