In 2008 Resurrection Catholic Missions will celebrate our 65th year of service. We formally began our work in 1943 as Nazareth Catholic Missions. For several years previous to 1943, Resurrectionist Fathers and Brothers worked with Father Harold Purcell, at the City of St. Jude, also located in Montgomery.
The initial focus of our work was the African-American community of north and central Montgomery. In rapid progression programs in evangelization, social service, health care and education were established. The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth helped to staff the school and residential facility for challenged children.
In 1964, largely through the efforts of Father Walter Mikosz, C.R., the Mission broke ground for a new multi-million dollar complex of buildings a few miles from our initial site on the banks of the Alabama River.