Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

posted on:
August 8, 2007

author:
Staff

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. It is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a product of combustion of organic matter under conditions of restricted oxygen supply, which prevents complete oxidation to carbon dioxide (CO2).

What are the dangers associated with carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. Carbon monoxide is a significantly toxic gas with poisoning being the most common type of fatal poisoning in many countries. Symptoms of mild poisoning include headaches and flu-like effects; larger exposures can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system and heart. Carbon monoxide can also have severe effects on the fetus of a pregnant woman.

Our firm handled a case involving our client losing a family member and three others were injured by carbon monoxide poisoning. Their home had a gas powered hot water heater which caused the poisoning. It did not have a vent safety shutoff switch which it should have had. If it had that switch, the family would have been saved from a huge loss. The jury sent a message to defendant to put these safety switches on their hot water heaters in the future.

What can I do?

If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury as the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, you may be entitled to compensation. For a free legal consultation, contact us today!

Free Legal Consultation
At Beasley Allen, there is never a fee for legal services, unless we collect for you. Contact us today by filling out a brief questionnaire, or by calling our toll free number, 1-800-898-2034, for a free, no-cost no-obligation evaluation of your case.
back to top